The recipe below is how my lovely FW, Erin, makes it.
VEGETARIAN RED CHILE SAUCE
Makes approximately 5 cups
1/2-3/4 cups dried ground red chile, high quality
2 generous slices fresh onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 cups vegetable broth
3 Tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 3 Tbsp water
- Saute or carmelize onions in a large, heavy sauce pan.
- Add chile, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Slowly add the broth, stirring carefully. Break up any lumps of chile.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat until warmed through, and add the cornstarch.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.